Posted by ANTARA Staff
Are your busy days leading to restless nights? If you’re like many people, sleep doesn’t come easily some nights. As we grow older, our responsibilities are continually increasing, making it harder to wind down at night. We are left with racing thoughts and questions such as “Did I get everything done that I needed to today?”, “Did my child finish their homework for school?”, “Did I pay that bill?”, or “Did I ever respond to that email for work?” The endless spiral of thoughts that provoke worry, stress, and anxiety never seem to end.
One of the most basic yet crucial components our bodies need for optimal function (so we’re not forgetting that dentist appointment or missing that critical email!) is sleep. Sleep is imperative for our bodies to recover, re-energize and reset. Getting a full night's sleep allows us to keep our mind and body healthy. As one can imagine, the longer we go without getting a full night’s rest, the more unhealthy this cycle becomes, thus affecting our overall well being. Simply put, the very thing that could help you feel and function better is eluding you night after night!
Fortunately, there are a number of daily nighttime rituals that can help quiet your mind for a more peaceful, restful night. Here’s a list of our top ten ways to help unwind before bed:
1. Decrease blue light exposure in the evening. For example, try not to look at your phone directly for bed or even thirty minutes to an hour before you try to sleep.
2. Avoid drinking caffeinated or alcoholic beverages in the evenings. This can significantly improve your quality of sleep. We don’t often think of alcohol as something that impacts our sleep, but in fact it greatly suppresses the body’s ability to reach REM sleep which ultimately leads to poor overall sleep quality, shorter sleep duration, and more disruptions throughout the night.
3. Increase your exposure to bright light during the day. This will help your body get into a natural circadian rhythm.
4. Meditation directly before bedtime can help to quiet your mind and reduce those anxious thoughts. ANTARA founder Cord Coen uses a Pranayama Meditation technique that you can find here
5. Try to ensure that you’re going to bed and waking up at the same time every day.
6. Reduce the frequency and lengths of napping throughout the day.
7. Set your bedroom temperature to around 70°F which has been found to be the most comfortable temperature to fall asleep.
8. Say no to late evening snacks, as eating can be a gateway to giving your body an energy boost. Try avoiding foods 4 hours before you decide to fall asleep.
9. Keep your routine as consistent as possible, this way your mind knows when you’re taking certain actions it is a trigger that you will be heading to bed soon.
10. Taking supplements such as melatonin and CBD are a great way to help quiet and relax the mind before bed.
Adding these ten simple steps to your nighttime routine will assure that your mind and body are well-rested and ready for what the next day brings. As mentioned, CBD is a great way to unwind before bed. Our CBD Elixir and CBD Tinctures feature the herbaceous notes of full-spectrum hemp oil, uplifting cinnamon, clove, and ginger blend promoting calm, and harmony within the body and mind, making it the perfect way to cap off your evening. Our ANTARA CBD Elixir is available in two strengths; regular strength which is great for those who are new to CBD tinctures, and extra strength which is a fan favorite for those who are experienced with CBD elixirs.
How to use CBD balm for sleep:
Here are some general use instructions on how to use CBD balm for sleep: massage gently into skin and areas of tension before bedtime. The CBD infused balm will aid in manually loosening knots and tension in your body when massaged correctly. Does CBD oil make you sleep? The short answer is not really. The relieving properties of CBD induce a more relaxed state, which could make you sleepy but has not been proven.